This took 2nd place at one of the ward chili cook offs!
3 cups cooked chicken, cut or shredded (or pork)
6 cloves of roasted garlic
1 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
3 cans (15oz each) Great northern beans, drained, rinsed and divided
(optional- add a can of black beans and/or corn)
2 tsp vegetable oil
3 cans (14 1/2 oz each) chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup lime juice
1 Tbs cornstarch
1 Tbs cold water
1/4 cup cilantro, snipped
sour cream and diced avocado, Monetary jack cheese as a garnish OR stir in sour cream, cheese and cilantro ahead of time for a creamy version.
Serve with tortilla chips
1. Chop onion and Jalapeno peppers.
2. Drain 1 can beans and put in a small bowl. Gently squeeze garlic from skins into the bowl and mash the beans and garlic together. Set aside
3. drain remaining 2 cans of beans and set aside
4.Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion an jalapeno peppers. Cook 4-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add chicken, mashed bean-garlic mixture, whole beans , chicken broth, cumin and lime juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes
5. Combine cornstarch and water, stirring until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to chili and continue cooking 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
6. Snip cilantro and stir into chili just before serving.
7 Garnish with sour cream, cubed avocado and snipped cilantro. and Monetary Jack cheese, and serve with tortilla chips.